Meet Our Coaches
DeCarlos West- Head Coach
- Coach West is a graduate of Methodist University where he was a dual sport Football and Track Athlete. He was a 4x100 All American as well as a Football All American. Coach West was elected to Methodist University Football Hall of Fame.
- Coach West had spent several years working with our Youth as a Football and Track Coach.
Chris Joines- Throws Coach (Shot Put/Discus/Javelin)
- Coach Chris is a graduate of South Carolina State University with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering Technology. He has been involved with youth coaching and mentoring for more than 15 years with Football and Track.
- As Athletic Director, he guided Lights Out to its first Regional Championship in 2018. Lights Out was also name AAU National Club of the Year.
Antwan Hughes- Sprints Coach
- Coach Hughes is a graduate of North Carolina A & T State University where he received a B.S. Degree in Human Performance and Leisure Studies in 2004. He has 3 years’ experience as a Winston-Salem Forsyth County Health and Physical Education teacher, 8 years’ experience as an exceptional Children assistant with WSFCS at Parkland High School.
- Coach Hughes is entering his 12th year at Parkland High School as the Women’s Head Track and Field Coach. During this time, he has coached over 399 All Conference Runners, 10 Conference Runners of the year, 9 Conference Championships, 6 Regional Championships, over 72 State Runner-Ups, over 99 State Champions, 16 North Carolina State Championship relay teams, 29 Parkland High school record holders, 43 All Americans, 8 National Champions, and had assisted over 37 graduating seniors to receive full or partial college track and field scholarships. Hughes has been selected as the Piedmont Triad Conference Coach of the year in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. In 2007 Hughes was selected for N.C. Indoor Coach of the year for 1A, 2A, 3A, 2009 Outdoor 3A State Runner-Up Coach of the year, 2014, 2015 Indoor and Outdoor N.C. Coach of the year, and in 2014, 2015 USA National Coach of the Year for N.C.
- Coach Hughes is the Founder and President for Lights Out Track and Field Club and has 16 years of experience as an Amateur Athletic Union Coach, where he has coached 5 National Champions, 1 National record holder, and 1 Olympic Trials Qualifier.
John Kinzer- Sprints/Hurdles Coach
- Coach Kinzer is a Winston Salem native and a graduate Winston-Salem State University with a B. S. degree in Exercise Science and a minor in sports medicine. He attended WSSU under a football scholarship and was also part of the Men’s Track Team.
- Coach Kinzer is in his 5th year as the Head Coach of Lexington High School Men’s and Women’s Track and Field. He has two Men’s back to back Conference Championships and one 2A State Championship Relay. At Lights Out, Coach Kinzer assists with the 200M, 400M, 800M group & Hurdlers.
Coach David Lindsay-Sprints/Hurdles Coach
- Coach Lindsay is a graduate on UNC-Wilmington with a degree in Public Health Education. His Collegiate accomplishments include CAA Champion in 110M Hurdles, 4x100 Meter Relay, CAA All Conference in 110M Hurdles, 100M Dash and 4x100M Relay and 3-time NCAA National First Round Qualifier
- At the High School Level, Coach Lindsay became Assistant Track and Field Coach at Winston Salem Preparatory Academy in 2013. He went on to become the Head Coach from 2014 to 2016. He won the 1A State Championship in 2014 and was named 1A Track and Field State Coach of the Year.
Jarrell Elliot- Middle Distance and Distance Coach
- Coach Elliott is a graduate of North Carolina A & T State University with a B.S. in Computer Information Systems. In his Parkland High School career, he earned a State Champion in the 400M and 3 Relay Titles while rewriting 8 different school records in his career. During his track career, Coach Elliott was a Team Captain from 2010-2012, a 4 Time NCAA National Qualifier, a 2012 USATF Indoor Trials Qualifier, 21 Time All MEAC Team and a 12 Time Regional Qualifier. He broke the school record for the 400M in his senior year with a Time of 45.8 seconds. At that time, it was the second fastest time in MEAC History and the 4th fastest time in the entire NCAA. His time still stands at the 5th Best All Time in MEAC History. While at N.C. A&T, he was a 2012 Olympic Trials Qualifier in the 400M
- In 2013 Coach Elliott began coaching at N.C. A&T under Coach Randolph Duane Ross with the 400M and 800M events. After his Collegiate and Professional career, Coach Elliott returned to Parkland to serve as the Mid-Distance and Distance Coach.
Tarrish Alexander- Jumps Coach
- Coach T is a graduate of North Carolina A & T State University. During his Collegiate career he was named to the All MEAC Team in Long Jump for the 2008 Outdoor and 2009 Indoor Seasons. He was also a member of the 2008 All East Region Team for Long Jump and a USA National Qualifier for the 2009 Indoor and Outdoor Season. Coach T is a Level 1 USA Track and Field Coach and currently is part of the Parkland H.S. Track Coaching Staff.
Jessica Rector- Jumps Coach
John Valentine- Head Coach- Lights Out Fayetteville Team
Johnny Bowman- Head Coach for Lights Out Wilmington Team